In accordance with our client’s requirements, this position may require either proof of vaccination or weekly testing for COVID-19.
- Be familiar with SCDOT Standard Specifications and Construction Manual.
- Effectively communicate with project manager daily. Must be able to have effective communication skills with supervisors, DOT and contractor.
- Must obtain measurements and report progress information on an Inspector’s Daily Diaries or in Site Manager.
- Performs on-site testing and inspections when needed.
- Ability to interpret and understand the plans and specifications for the job to be inspected.
- Checks materials for conformance before installation.
- Points out and document potential issues to the contractor and project engineer and keeps project engineer and supervisor informed of progress of project.
- Responsible for job specific quality system tasks as defined in quality manual.
- Responsible for driving a company vehicle to and from as well as on the client project.
- Must know how to use assigned tools of the trade.
- Conform in all respects with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, ordinances and other orders and to all company policies, procedures and directives from supervisors.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or requested by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has worked on multiple state highway/bridge construction contracts.
- Performs construction inspection in conformance with certification training with minimal supervision.
- Is certified and proficient in several phases of highway or bridge construction. Experience may be broad or focused on bridge or road construction or other disciplines.
- Able to perform complex WZTC and CEPSCI inspections and works with superintendents to ensure compliance.
- Has a basic understanding of contract administration and trains in project management tasks.
- Reads and interprets plans and specifications and advises contractors accordingly.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel
- Must be a good communicator and able to resolve solutions in the field.
- Must be able to follow and carry out specific instructions on an independent basis.
- Must be able to read and understand construction plans, blueprints, and maps.
- Must have basic math skills to compute quantities and costs when requested.
- Must be able to interpret and implement company mandated safety policies.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have an ability to operate a level and have an understanding of cut and fills and elevations for grades.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Must understand construction surveying procedures and principles.
- Work in outdoor environment 95% of the time
- Moderate noise level
- Travel via automobile on daily basis
Education, Training, Experience and Licensing/Certification Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) years’ experience in the highway construction industry.
- Must be able to become certified in DOT classes.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
Machines, Tools and Equipment:
- Operate standard office equipment (i.e., personal computer, facsimile, copy machine, etc.)
- Talk, hear, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds daily