- Attends meetings as needed related to operations projects.
- Must have the ability to lead and manage projects.
- Must have experience with NCDOT Operations & Maintenance procedures.
- Must be able to read and understand NCDOT maintenance contracts and interpret for project team.
- Answers inquiries and complaints from Project Manager. Must be a good communicator and able to resolve solutions in the field with personnel, contractors, municipalities, and the general public.
- Must be able to successfully use tools of the trade needed for the specific project(s) and have the ability to train subordinates in their use.
- Must obtain accurate measurements, report project progress information, and document in an Inspector’s Daily Report (IDR) and train subordinate team members in this process.
- Setup project pay records and train subordinate technicians in their use.
- Identifies problems to the contractor and project manager, and keeps project manager informed of progress of project.
- Must be able to follow and carry out specific instructions on an independent basis.
- Must possess basic math skills to compute quantities and costs.
- Must be able to interpret and implement company mandated safety policies.
- Lead safety meetings on a regular basis.
- Must have an ability to operate a level and have an understanding of cut and fills and elevations for highway grades.
- Responsible for project specific quality control tasks as defined in quality control manual.
- Mentoring and training subordinate technicians.
- Conform in all respects with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, ordinances and other orders and to all company policies, procedures and directives from supervisors.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or requested by management.
Education, Training, Experience and Licensing/Certification Requirements:
- Two (2) year technical degree with Civil Engineering Technology or Surveying Technology with six (6) years of progressive transportation technician experience, or:
- High school diploma and eight (8) years of transportation experience, or an equivalent combination of training and directly related experience.
- Twenty (20) years’ experience in the construction industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Must understand construction surveying procedures and principles.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in state of residence.